Integrating Google Translate with FileMaker
Recently we built a feature in a client’s FileMaker solution that involved sending written messages in both English and Spanish, starting by selecting a boilerplate template. The users would then edit the message as necessary before sending. We created a few test templates by composing a message in English, then we used Google Translate in a browser to get the Spanish version, and stored both versions in a record in the template table. Our initial understanding was that users of this solution speak and write both English and Spanish, so editing the boilerplate messages would not be a problem. But that turned out not to be the case.
Not only did the user not speak or write Spanish, he also didn’t read Spanish. So although the boilerplate Spanish version of the message was displayed on screen, he assumed it was an accurate translation of the message he had edited in English. Basically he assumed his message was being translated automatically in real time (never mind that the Spanish message did not change as he edited the English version).
We started thinking that instead of storing the Spanish version of the message in the templates table, maybe we could use Google Translate to translate the English text on the fly. It seemed like that would correct all of the problems we had encountered with the first draft and it would definitely make the user’s life easier.
We started by doing some Googling of our own and right away found a blog post and sample file Douglas Alder wrote on this subject in 2012.
Douglas’s sample file was almost exactly what we were looking for, we just wanted to simplify it a bit and make it more portable. So we did away with the ParseData custom function, and used Insert From URL instead of a web viewer.
And here are some tips about how to use the Google Translate API.